The following is my intro post upon joining Automattic, backdated and edited for a little extra privacy:
Hi everyone! I’m Dezzie, a new product designer working on the WordPress.com team. So excited and grateful to join you all!
When I started writing out this post, listing out my previous job roles, accomplishments, etc., etc., I thought, “Wait…c’mon on, when’s the last time you’ve actually done origami?”
So I’m just going to freely associate for a bit about myself here–in reality, what do I do and what am I about? What would my cat, for example, say I do all day?
In the past, prior to working as a designer, in no particular order, I have done these jobs for a living:
- Mac Genius
- Windows enterprise support technician
- Web developer
- SAT tutor
- eBay seller
- Lab technician
- Graduate teaching and research assistant
- Clinical psychologist (trainee)
That took up a lot of years where I could have just bit the bullet and gone into design, but now I’m just happy I stopped that, and things ended up working out. Since then, I’ve worked on the design teams of the federal government, an agency or two, and the artificial intelligence arm of a big tech company.
Today, I’m a:
- wife (of a Texan man, a fact he likes to emphasize)
- mother (of a Texan baby, a fact my husband also likes to emphasize)
- cat lady (of a 15lb tank of a cat)
- perennially displaced Californian (a fact I continue to emphasize)
- a clean house!
- big cities
- snow and colder weather
- chamber music, opera, ballet–
- but also house music, progressive trance…ASOT anyone?
- putting together IKEA furniture
- dark comedy
- Swiss design
- cooking-based design problems
- vintage computers
- seasonal allergies
- hot weather
- people who don’t use their turn signals
- dark patterns
I would like to learn how to:
- get back into violin shape (I started playing when I was little but gave up after college)
- learn how the kids make websites these days now
- build myself a bike
In my spare time, I stay away from screens, read paper books, go outside, and move around.
Currently, my husband and I are working on a (really good) espresso machine that I bought for $10 off of Craigslist when I lived in DC. It makes great espresso now, but the milk steamer is still a mystery. I don’t know what satisfies me more, delicious coffees on-demand, or that I found it practically for free.
Overall, I’m just a curious person. Unlike a lot of people, I don’t consider myself a Maker, I think of myself more as a Learner. My biggest motivation is solving problems, puzzles, and mysteries. At best, it gets you jobs like this one. At worst…it costs you many hours on reddit.
As the wise Mary Poppins puts it:
“In every job that must be done/ There is an element of fun/ You find the fun and snap! / The job’s a game!”